Tuesday, October 04, 2005

what goes into a press kit + CD packaging

Q: What's in a Press Kit? How professional does the demo jewel case and CD label have to be?
~
A: don't bother with fancy wrappings and jewel case inserts if you're submitting to record labels. They're only interested in the music.

Press Kit:
here's a helpful link:
http://www.vocalist.org.uk/press_kit.html

Don't take my word for it, research further, but here's some general notes:

- a professional headshot (I got my headshot done, I scanned it in, I print it off myself on good quality photo paper). Think about what you want the photo to say -- image is crucial in pop music... get make-up & hair done, pick clothes approporate to that image -
- a "one-sheet" bio
- lyric sheets
- copies of press clippings-
- make sure every piece of info has full contact info - paste a label on the back of the photo if need be
- CD with tracks clearly marked & full contact info
- in a jewel case is fine, but no wrapping.
- any info on CD sales, fan base, upcoming tours, etc

don't forget the all-important cover letter when sending it out.

No comments: