Wednesday, October 05, 2005

how do I write a good bio?

Q: I need tips on writing a bio... how should the bio be formatted? Should there be name and addy at the top along with phone number...
~~
A: Good question! I write this kind of stuff all the time - think of the bio as a 'one sheet' - and write it like a newspaper story. newspaper stories are writeen like pyramids - the most important info is at the top. Limit yourself to 3 paragraphs max. Definately your contact information should be above or below (contact information should be on everything) the bio. Keep the format simple & easy to read.

As to what's in it... remember that this bio is part of your marketing... without being hard sell.For me I'd want my bio to reflect who & am and what I do... and also, in some way, how I do it differently - and perhaps how successful I'd been with it so far. Avoid gushy language that says how great you are.

There's some good articles at:
http://www.bob-baker.com/musicpromotionblog/index.html

If I can quote Barbara Cloyd - "when you approach people to get bookings, try to remember that to them you are just a speck in orbit around them and not the center of their universe. If you think about what they need and approach them from an angle of "here's how I can help you" rather than "here's how you can help me" it is much more effective."

She also says this: "When I sit down to go through that pile of submissions on my desk, here's what I want to know:· What kind of music do you play? · What type of image do you project? · Where have you played before? · With whom are you or have you been associated? · What do other people say about you? · What do you sound like? "

For more of Barbara's great advice, link to
http://www.barbaracloyd.com/articles.htm

If I can add to that, besides getting someone to proof your bio before you send it out - make sure it is easily understood by others.... get some help if need be, this is an important sales tool for you as a musician/songwriter/performer.

No comments: