Wednesday, October 05, 2005

How do I get started planning a tour?

Q: I have seen that numerous bands go on tour, and it increases their popularity - how do you do it? I am perplexed - NY

A: hmmmm let's see...

What is the purpose of touring? To sell CDs.

-Who is the audience for my CD
-Where do they hang out
-How do I contact those places
-Do I have a Press Kit
-Do I have transportation
-Once I'm booked, do I know the local paper's & radio stations, do I have my press release & sample CD ready to send
-How much am I willing to work for... how far will that go... who keeps the door, do I get a share of the bar... where do I stay.
-If I were you, I'd start small touring nearby towns, playing festivals, get your feet wet.

-use songwriting boards and other communities to help you scope out the locale

These are just some ideas - do some research on the net - there's plenty of expert musicians and others who share their expertise! 'Indie Bible 'might help too.

No comments: