Wednesday, April 22, 2009

~ scared to go to singing lessons

Q: I can play several instruments really well and would like to sing, but I'm scared to do it in front of a teacher.... My main problem is my tone. I'm not sure if I'm better off not singing, or joining a band or getting a teacher. I have been told I'm horrible before. Some people say that my problem is that I'm not pushing the words and notes out as loud as I should.

A: You need to remember the purpose of going to a voice teacher is to be helped, not to be judged. Voice teachers are not like Simon Cowell. Just because we "own" a voice doesn't mean we understand how to use it effectively. The advice to "push" or "be louder" is not helpful. What does that mean? Shout?

Wouldn't you like to know how to 'tune' your voice? Wouldn't you like to know how to achieve power without pushing or sounding bad? Wouldn't you like someone in your corner who understands the voice and will help you bring yours out?

My advice would be... not to sing at this moment in time, so that you avoid bad habits.... and look for a teacher who works with you, and with your voice, to help you achieve strength, range, and good tone. Expect to spend at least a few months growing your skills and toning your 'vocal muscle'. And don't be afraid to 'audition' teachers til you find someone who is both knowledgeable and a 'fit' for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think this is a really good article. You make this information interesting and engaging. You give readers a lot to think about and I appreciate that kind of writing. Singing Lessons Online