Sunday, March 22, 2009

about co-writing

Q: I’ve been looking for someone to demo a couple of my songs. I found a couple of companies that write music for lyrics but when I looked them up on BBB I wasn't impressed. I’ve been writing country song lyrics for some time now. I need someone to write music. I mainly write country and comedy/novelty songs. As for now, I would like to get my songs on a demo.

A: Post your lyrics in the lyric section of a good songwriting forum. Ask if any country musicians are interested in co-writing with you.

It is my opinion that you should *never* pay someone to write music for your lyrics (good for you for checking out BBB). That is a co-write, and that means both co-writers jointly own the song. Always sign a co-writing agreement before you start working together. Don't jump in to co-writes, either. Exchange emails, listen to their work, check out their posts, is that someone you want to work with. Be prepared to share in the cost of making any demo. Be wise enough to know that you shouldn't spend that money without understanding your goal. If your goal is to pitch songs to artists, be aware that this is extemely competitive and as an unknown you're up against the best, known songwriters in pursuit of that goal - more so in country than any other genre.

As far as demo's go - don't put the cart before the horse. Find someone to collaborate with who can record a vocal/guitar or vocal/piano worktape. Go to SongU or NSAI or get the worktape evaluated by a good professional songwriting teacher - for country I recommend Pat Luboff. If and when the song merits it, then you get a properly done Nashville-style demo. Then the work of pitching the song(s) begins.

It's also crucial that you understand what sub-genre of country you are writing, and make sure your demo reflects that.

John Braheny's "The Craft & the Business of Songwriting" is a good resource. Also Jason Blume's "6 Steps to Songwriting Success". I also think Jason Blume's "Inside Songwriting" is a good primer for what it's like to pitch songs to the industry.

Songwriting forums:
Just Plain Folks -- http://www.jpfolks.com/forum/
Muse's Muse -- http://www.musesmuse.com/forums/
Irene Jackson -- http://irenejackson.com/forum/index.php
Songwriter101 -- http://www.songwriter101.com/

HTH

No comments: