Sunday, January 22, 2006

basic rules for songwriting ? :o)

When I was a budding songwriter with dreams of glory I thought I could make the music industry listen to me.... but what I learned - from all the songwriting boards I frequent, and all the wonderful folks I've worked with - is that.... wait for it... I don't need the "commercial music industry" (read: record labels) to do music, or make money in music.

I think the basic rules for any songwriter should be:
a) be true to yourself (but open your mind),
b) study musical forms & songwriting structure,
c) network and collaborate with like-minded people,
d) yes! take lessons to better your skills,
e) wake up every day excited that you get to work on music,
f) copyright your work,
g) understand the biz but don't let it get you down,
h) experiment... think outside the box...
i) have a sense of humour & a sense of fun
j) always keep your word, be professional in attitude and deed
k) get out and listen to live music, from coffee shops to opera houses. Open your mind to the world of music... which extends far beyond North America.

No comments: